Tell Mama; no more dried out Turkey for your holiday dinner anymore..!
THE INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED:
Whole turkey — 14 Pound (13-14)
Apple cider/Apple juice — 1 Gallon
Kosher salt — 1 Cup (16 tbs) (Soaked in brine and brine discarded)
Dark brown sugar — 1 Cup (16 tbs)
Garlic cloves — 10 (8-10)
Sliced ginger — 20 Gram (handful)
Orange — 4 , quartered
Apple cider vinegar — 1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (1/4-1/3)
Water — 1⁄2 Gallon (as needed)
Chili pepper flakes — 2 Tablespoon
TO PUT IN CAVITY OF TURKEY WHILE BRINING
Fresh rosemary sprig — 2
Fresh thyme sprigs — 2
Fresh sage — 2
Extra virgin olive oil — 1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (as needed)
Ale — 1 Bottle (1 l)
Melted butter — 1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (as needed)
DIRECTIONS GETTING READY
1. In a saucepan, combine apple cider, salt, and sugar. Heat until sugar dissolves.
2. In a large bucket, pour the cider mixture and pour water, just enough to cover the turkey.
3. Add vinegar, garlic, ginger, orange, and chili pepper flakes.
4. Into the turkey cavity put fresh rosemary, thyme and sage. Drop the turkey inside the bucket with brine. Add a bag of ice, cover and set the bucket aside for 18-24 hours.
5. Preheat grill to 300-325 degree F.
6. Remove the turkey from brine and place on a roasting pan. Remove the herbs from cavity and pat dry with paper towel.
7. Baste turkey with olive oil, pour ale in the roasting pan and place turkey in pan, breast side down.
8. Place the roasting pan on grill, cover and cook for 80 minutes. Flip, baste with pan juices, and cook breast side up for another 2 ½ hours. Baste again with pan juice and continue to cook for another 1 hour.
9. Apply some melted butter on the turkey to get crispy skin and cook until the internal temperature reaches 160 degree F, basting once or twice with pan juice in between.
10. Remove the turkey from heat and place on a cutting board. Tent the meat with foil and let rest for about an hour.
11. Carve and serve with salad.
THINGS YOU WILL NEED
1 bag of ice